A project led by CIEDEL in partnership with CIRRIS, Handicap International, APF and Vida Brazil (2016)
This research project was initially developed in response to the observation that, too often, the voices of people with disabilities are hardly taking into consideration, and may even be neglected entirely, in local development projects. This situation is contrary to the principles described in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), and to their effective application. Therefore, non-governmental organization Handicap International (HI), and a Brazilian organization, Vida Brasil (VB), which have years of experience conducting local development initiatives that foster the participation of people with disabilities in local governance bodies, decided to join together to support this trial.
In pursuit of their shared purpose and based on their past experiences, these two associations joined forces with two research partners to conduct a comparative analysis and capitalization of the inclusive local development (ILD) experiences of four regions in the North and South (in Madagascar, Brazil, Quebec and France), which were partners in the research and trial. The goal of the research was the procedural development of methods, tools and analysis indicators to measure the effects of inclusive local development (ILD) strategies on improving civic, individual and collective participation of people with disabilities in the governance mechanisms of their community.
Access to all the ressources produced during the applied research "The participation of people with disabilities in local governance: how to measure the effects on Inclusive Local Development?"
- Synthetic report
- Leaflet 1 - Introduction, conclusion and potential uses by sector
- Leaflet 2 - Partners and trial modalities
- Leaflet 3 - Analysis framework and stakeholders
- Leaflet 4 - Evaluation process and tools
- Leaflet 5 - Partners territories
- Leaflet 6 - Application of the Socio-political Participation index
- Leaflet 7 - Comparative portrait of social participation by site, results of the Life-H and MQE
- Leaflet 8 - Characterization of local governance in Toliara and Bordeaux
- Leaflet 9 - Feedback on participaton in the trialing and use of the tools
- Leaflet 10 - Knowledge acquired on participation and on the proposed method for measuring participation
- Document of presentation and use of the Socio-political Participation index
- Short summary